Sunday, August 29, 2010

Day 1: The road looks long

It's the end of day 1 and I've decided I have to post.

The reason I have to post is that I need to install the right habits and attitude if this is going to work. I realised recently that some of the most motivational weight-loss bloggers in terms of the actual amount of weight lost to date seem to be from the bloggers who post every single day, blogs like Loretta's Journey from 460 to 199 and The Daily Diary of a Winning Loser. I believe that part of what has helped these daily bloggers to stay on the right track has been their daily posts, so that they are constantly reminded of their motivations and what they've achieved, and if I'm right then I want some of that motivation too, because I'm going to need it!

I must admit, I've not had the best day 1, you see, I have awful working hours for dieting (yes, I know you've heard that before, but it's true). I work 4 days a week doing 11 hour days, during which time it's difficult to find the time to prepare meals and I finish so late that eating dinner means eating immediately before bed (which is obviously not ideal), then I have 3 days off, where I have so much time to myself that all I can think about is raiding the fridge continuously or going out with friends to lovely restaurants or barbecues and such.

I don't intend to use my working hours as an excuse, at the end of the day if I shove 3 chocolate bars in my mouth that's my own choice and I can't claim that finishing work 3 hours earlier would have truly have prevented this catastrophe, but I just wanted you to have an idea of why you may see me occasionally skipping breakfast or dinner (I'm going to try not to, but I accept that on occasions it's going to be unavoidable).

Anyway back to today, I ended up skipping breakfast, then had a long meeting at work and by the time that was over it was 4pm, so I'd built up quite a hunger. This hunger meant I didn't quite make an ideal choice for lunch, in that I had a tuna & salad baguette (...and a pack of Snack-a-Jacks.. but they apparently have this award thing I found on Google images, so they can't be all that bad). Finally, I've just got home and found the sweet potato I had baked yesterday evening & kept sealed in the fridge has gone icky and isn't really edible after a day in the fridge, so I've instead had a couple of low-fat Mullerlight yogurts.

Now in total, the day was relatively low-fat'ish and I was well under my calorie count, if I was doing a diet like Weight Watchers for example, it would have been a perfect day - So that's why I'm not kicking myself, but I have been naughty in that the lunch I had was really nowhere near the lunch I should be having on Slimming World, which is the diet I've chosen to follow as I know it works for me.

Oh well, c'est la vie! I still started eating healthier, eating less and walked 30 minutes (as that's my walk to work and back) - which while that's nothing to write home about, it's a lot better than nothing and is a step in the right direction. I avoided my flat mates invitation to binge on the masses of alcohol we have accruing in the kitchen when I got home from work and am going to bed more-or-less guilt-free. Time to really get into it tomorrow!
x

No comments:

Post a Comment